Expound on an Idea or Process by Writing an Expository Essay
In order to write a good expository essay you need to know what the word means. Expository usually means to be able to explain complicated ideas or theories. Therefore, writing the essay too will require students to explain how something is done in a clear and precise manner.
What is an Expository Essay?
If you are fixing something you will need to follow instructions. In the same way, if you need to assemble something, they come with instruction sheets. Expository essays are very similar to this. While most essays are written incorporating writer’s opinions, these essays explain things by the use of facts and not opinions. These essays will also analyze objects or ideas, or they will describe a process.
How to Write the Essay
Writing the essay is not a difficult task as long as you sufficient information to do the explaining. Students should remember that there is no need to produce arguments or provide opinions when writing their essays.
1. Select a suitable topic. These can range from steps used to do something to investigating something. Topics should be interesting and worthy of discussion. Often these essays are written in answer to a prompt and this will make topic selection easier for the students.
2. Research. This is a vital tool for any type of essay. Expository essays require students to obtain accurate information. Therefore, you need to know the topic inside out if you are going to expound on it. How will you explain something if you do not know anything about it?
3. Structure. This essay has the same structure as all other essays. It will have an introduction where you will introduce the topic and provide the thesis statement. It will have body paragraphs which will include supporting facts and data that will add credibility to the essay. The conclusion will restate the thesis and summarize the data.
4. Graphics – The use of graphs and charts and other paraphernalia are recommended when writing this essay as it helps support your thesis statement.
Prompts for the Essay
As these essays are usually written in answer to a prompt we will provide you with a few prompts which you can practise your essays on.
• Explain in a step by step manner, how to change a tire.
• Explain in five steps how to write an interesting essay.
• Explain the advantages of learning other languages.
• Explain why over eating is bad for you.
• Explain how World War II started.
• Write a letter to a friend explaining why your new town is such a nice place to live.
• Write on a first-aid procedure.
There are many more essay prompts available online. Remember that with thorough practise you will be able to submit an excellent expository essay. If you are having trouble writing your essay, coursework-writing.co.uk will help. They are a premier writing company which is dedicated to helping students with their academic writing. When you obtain help from them you are assured of the best essays.